The first Hotel and combine Post Office was opened on the site in July 1865. The Post Office moved to Hoddles Creek four years later but, the Hotel, first known as “Ewarts”, before renaming as the “Home Hotel” continued and prospered and was for years a “Cobb & Co” coach stop on the way to Warburton and the goldfields around Reefton.
The present two storey Edwardian main Hotel building was constructed in 1902 and incorporated one room, the pool room, of the original 1860s building. Over the years it was extended mainly in the late 1930s to incorporate the large Bistro of today.
Launching Place” gained its name from the spot opposite the Hotel where goods where launched up the river to Yarra Junction and Warburton before the rail line was constructed. It also acted as a launch place for freshly cut logs to be transported down to milled in the Melbourne.
Launching Place was served by a railway from 1901 to 1965 with the station situated behind the hotel on the discontinued Warburton line. It is now the well used Lilydale to Warburton rail trail. This servers walkers, tourists, cyclists and horse riders and the Home Hotel backs onto it for 200m